Stanley Town Council was created by Statutory Instrument (No: 1185, Local Government, England) dated the 11th April 2007 in direct response to a public petition by residents of the Stanley area.
During 2008, the newly elected Councillors decided to produce the Stanley Town Plan to gain a comprehensive understanding of the area so as to develop a strategy that aims to meet the real needs of local people.
The strategy is to be implemented during the period 2009-14. The Town Council set its first precept during the later stages of 2008-09 and became officially operational at the beginning of the financial year 2009-10.
The Town Council is based on a new geographical boundary established in May 2008. New parish or town council areas can be set up in one of two ways. The district or borough council can recommend to the government that a new parish or town council area be established, or, the local community can petition for one. The latter being the case in Stanley.
It was agreed that the Town Council would incorporate the seven wards of:
- Annfield Plain
- Craghead and South Stanley
- Stanley Hall
- South Moor
Following local government reorganisation in County Durham these 'wards’ became co-terminus with the new unitary County Council’s four 'electoral divisions’ of: Stanley; Craghead and South Moor, Annfield Plain and Tanfield and the area covered by the (Stanley) Area Action Partnership.
A full copy of the Stanley Town Council strategic Town Plan is available to view or download.